I feel that I am lucky, Germany is culturally not that different from the US, so for me it wasn't as big of a culture shock as it must have been for some of the Asians for example. In a lot of ways, Germany is copying the United States. A lot of phrases are adapted from the English language. For example you will find signs saying "on sale" or "wellness-hotel" or "coffee shop". We call this Denglish, a mixture of Deutsch and Englisch. Germans use the word "handy" for cell-phones... In some ways this is sad because we are losing some of our own culture by just copying of someone else.
There are still some things that I am trying to adjust to here in the states. I think that people have a lot more aquaintances than Germans do. Here people are less formal and often times it is frustrating to talk to people that tell you things that they don't really mean. If they tell you, I'll call you, they almost never will. They say I love you, but they really don't. This is not a bad thing at all, it is just a totally different way of dealing with people. These kind of empty statements are used by almost everyone but here, people know how to deal with it. In Germany, if someone tells you that they like you and that they will call you, that is what they really mean. In other countries this is often times a reason why they think Americans are superficial. I don't that this is true. I had to learn how to react to this also but I have found very good friends five years ago and they are the opposite of being superficial. It might just be a little harder to get to know them at first... In this sense, I have to stop thinking so German:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
wow, Anna! it's really interesting to hear you talk about the differences and how you deal with them. i also get annoyed sometimes when people say they will call, but never do. don't say it if you don't mean it! i like your post!
Post a Comment