Sunday, October 5, 2008

What I hate and love about America

The reason why I did not manage to write my blog last week was because I had to go to the hospital on Sunday. But no worries, I am fine now. This just leads me to the first issue I would like to discuss a little bit. How come, a country as rich as America has such a horrible health system? People are not being treated because they can’t afford health insurance and while this is happening, the US government is spending billions of money on war machinery. I think that there is something wrong with this system. In Germany they had a story all over the news a couple of months ago. A woman died in the waiting room of a psychiatric hospital in Brooklyn. On the surveillance videos one can see that hospital personnel saw the woman lying on the floor twitching but they did not do anything. The woman died after being in the waiting room for 24 hours. http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/01/waiting.room.death/index.html
Bad things happen all over the world and in order to go into more detail about this I would need more knowledge. How about things I love about this country now? First of all it is impossible to describe the US with just a few stereotypes people from other places have about it. The State of Montana alone is the size of Germany. When I first came to the US I have done some travelling. I lived in Minnesota and drove all the way to California. I saw Mount Rushmore, the salt lakes and many other things on the way. I saw Sacramento, Los Angeles, and Santa Barbara, from there we drove to Las Vegas. The Grand Canyon was very impressive also. Of course these are all great places but what I like most about this county are the people. There is something different to them. They are more optimistic about the future and about their lives. So many people move every 4-5 years and are able to start a new life everywhere. This is a very uncommon Lifestyle for Europeans. I have met the most generous and most helpful people here and I am proud to call this my second home.

No comments: